Highs and Lows: Chocolate Nutella Strawberry Cake, Dishes, and Dogs

You know that chocolate nutella strawberry cake I was mooning over?  Yeah, this one from The Pioneer Woman’s blog:

8901309722_c24d5ae3a5_z

photo by Ree Drummond

It was in fact made for my birthday week, and it lived up to expectations.  Because it was going to travel, we made one layer at a time and consumed it at two different times.  It worked well that way, but man, one slice wasn’t enough.  I would have eaten that entire cake by myself if no one had been around to watch my shame.

Fortunately, I have friends who save me from myself.

The cake was actually so good that we made it again for family weekend a few days ago.  This time, we went all out and put both layers together at the same time.  It was more satisfying per slice, but definitely more prone to collapse.  Which The Pioneer Woman herself has experienced, but only when she made it into a four-layer cake.

photo by Ree Drummond

photo by Ree Drummond

Two was enough to topple ours.

photo-14Still, it was absolutely delicious and practically perfect in every way.  I would eat it again.  And again.  (Please ignore my poor photography.  Ours might have looked like the sad version of PW’s cake, but it did not taste like the sad version at all.)

In other news, I have washed dishes before going to bed several nights in a row.  It’s a major household upkeep accomplishment for me.

And Peanut was well, then he was really really sick, and now he is on the mend.  Whew.  I did not enjoy thinking about our household sans Peanut.  I know he’s a dog and his life expectancy is limited, but I’ll channel my inner Scarlett O’Hara for now and say, “After all, tomorrow is another day.”  I’ll worry about Peanut’s short life expectancy tomorrow.  Today, I will enjoy leftover chocolate cake and will simultaneously give my dog a pat on the head.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Highs and Lows: Chocolate Nutella Strawberry Cake, Dishes, and Dogs

    • What didn’t happen to Peanut? Poor kid. He wouldn’t eat or drink for a day, so we took him to the vet. He had a 105 degree temperature, pancreatitis, tick disease, tapeworms, and gum disease. All are on their way to being resolved except for the gum disease. He is his normal cheerful self again. It was pretty scary though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s