In case that title is ambiguous, I’m talking Huevos Rancheros in 10 minutes. The original recipe says 15 minutes, but honestly, there’s can opening and egg cooking. It’s pretty much the easiest thing I’ve made in months, and it’s delicious to boot.
I don’t know if I’ve actually had Huevos Rancheros at a restaurant, so this may or may not be exactly like the traditional recipe. What I do know is that this was inexpensive, easy, healthy, and tasty. I’m going to be making this a lot in the future.
We added some leftovers from another dinner into this, so it was a little bit of a time cheat. Maybe it’s 15 minutes if you add meat-brownin’ time. Anyway, it’s ridiculously easy and serves 4. (Why yes, I did use twice the beans, extra salsa, meat, and 2 extra eggs while leaving the serving number the same as the original recipe. Real Simple portion sizes might be correct from a dietician’s perspective, but we need a little bit of extra food.)
Skillet-Poached Huevos Rancheros+
- 3 cups salsa
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lb. ground venison or beef, browned (totally optional)
- If you want to use ground beef or venison in the recipe, brown the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the salsa and beans with the browned meat and bring to a simmer.
- Make 6 wells in the bean mixture. Crack each egg and slide it gently into one of the egg wells. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat, 3 to 5 minutes for slightly runny yolks.
- Sprinkle with the scallions and cilantro. Add a dollop of Greek yogurt to each serving.
You might even have enough time after this to paint your nails:
I love that snow days mean clean dishes, folded laundry, and enough spare time to do my annual nail painting. And thank goodness the roads were totally cleared today. I almost got the house so put together that I would have to start filing old paperwork. Whew. It was close.